Thursday 1 September 2011

how much is a nickle worth?

being a man i tend to shop with paper money and thereby accumulate sackfuls of change. no problem at home of ciurse since i can always give this small change to buddy to use. however, when one has to lug this half hundredweight of metal over several high passes everyday it makes ine tnink.....'hey, i wonder if there's something i can do to get rid of all that metal'? so....whilst shopping in Hood River i bring out my sack of change in the grocer. Trouble is....i don't really jnow what the money is worth...and my eyesught is now too poor to read whatls written on the coins. So, i start fumbling with the multiple sikver and briwn coins at the check out. I pull out a silver coin and ask the assistant 'what's this?' that's a nickle sir, says the assistant patiently. Trouble is, i don't know whzt a nickke is woth. Is is ten cents or fifty cents? Search me.

Now from all the cowboy movues i've watched i've hears about nickles and dimes but i've no idea how to shop wuth them.

With the queue griwing behind me the assustant finally takes my bag and picks out the right amount of change to pay my bill. all sirted....except, i've still no idea what a nivkle's worth.

6 comments:

  1. A nickle is 5 cents, so pretty worthless. Dimes are 10 cents. You want to find the quarters (25c), because they are the most useful coin of all of them.

    I'd suggest seeing what coins vending machines use (if you can find any) - that's what I do in England with my 5p coins!

    Sorry, I haven't made it obvious that I'm following your blog before now, but I read it through Google reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps, sorry didn't realise before: Google corrected me its "nickel".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to make it absolutely clear ;
    nickel is current trading at around 110,00 nickels / tonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike take the change to any bank. They have machines that count coins. They will give you cash for it. Praying for your safety. Sarah Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah has good advice for your change!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big chain Grocery stores like Ralphs/Albertsons also have change machines...most banks here in California won't take change unless you "roll" it first...

    ReplyDelete