Friday 16 September 2011

have a nice day.....

yes, I realise that it's just something that Americas say, like we might say cheerio or cheers but after five weeks of being wished a nicd day it still makes md smile and feel better

I reckon there's more to it than z mere automatic polite farewell though. I think it captures some of the sunny, positive outlook that Americans have. Not for them the negative, cynical and destructive approach that we seem to rejoice in in the UK.

I need to issue a correction about Diary Milk. The day after i bemoaned the absence of the food of gods - Diary Milk, i stubled across some for sale. I quickly bought a couple of big bars and, because of the heat, HAD to eat them quickly in one, mouth stretching scoff. I've seen no more for sale. It was just one of those God-given little gifts that have kept me going. What i said about Hershey bars though David HG stands.

Over the last few days i've repeatedly come across ntices tellinb me to be lbear aware'. They are here and active, i am assured. So, food, suncream, soap, mossy cream all gets wrapped in my air tight bag and hunb in a tree at night. This doesn't stop me tnougn from wakinb most nights at any little snuffle, crackle or pad in the night.

The landscaoe has changed. I've left the Cascades and moved into the Sierra Nevada mountains. Gone are the one-off 'strato volcanoes'. I'm amongst older mountains, jagged edges iron-ore tinged. I pulled my bike and body over Monitor Pass 8400ft this morning. Up there it was very quiet, the air was cool and clean, the view was blue-tinged. The lonb passes with 30km of climb are hard......but they are aften fol.owed by 30km of descent

I fear that the 'treat' of a cooked breakfast this morning at a cafe has possibly contributed to severe tummy upset this evdninb fortunately i'm in a caravsn with a toilet this evening rather than in a basuc campsute with a longdrop 100m away. Small blessings.

I'm in Bridgeport, California. Heading for Yosemite in a day or so.

The sun is setting on a spectacular vista of a wide plain with high, snow tipped mountains.

Beats going to work.

I met up with Harrold a touring cyclist from California on a two week ridd. It was good tl have some company for a change.

Thanks to you for your encouragement.

3 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! It must be so incredible conquering so much land on a bicycle! I'm heading to one of the bike stores tomorrow, so I'll let you know what I find... Enjoy Yosemite...it is beautiful and amazing :) Oh...and have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike, Were there no American weekend warriors out this last Sat/Sun ? I thought you might see a few more about. Starting to get bit colder here now; I presume it is slowly getting hotter for you the further south you reach. Will be looking forward to hearing if the national park areas you're hitting now are any nicer then what you've been throuhg. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on the Hersheys, but Dave grew up with it and still likes it!

    The mountain views and sunsets must be incredible. I like your descriptions-- it makes it easy to imagine what it's like to be there.

    Well done with all your effort so far. I know Biddy is looking to meeting up with you later on.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete