Friday 30 September 2011

USA......land of the Big Mac and Burger King.....

well, actually no. Until I rode into Palmdale today I don't think I'd actually come across a Macdonalds. I've spent the last few weeks popping into diners which are single, family-owned and quaint. I find it heartnening that this is so in corporate America.

What's also interesting is that one can pitch up at one of these diners at half past five in the morning and they are full of people having breakfast. The Americans seem to get up early and going out for breakfast.

Started cycling in the dark to get a headstart on the heat. Speediest 80km of the tour so far as we sped across the edge of the Mojave desert beside the San Andreas rift into Palmdale. All the signs starting to be in Spanish. A bit claustrophobic being in a city the size of Exeter.

Oiled and tightened the bike in my hotel room. A bit too hot to be camping...which is probably why there are no campsites.

Up into the mountains again tomorrow: the coolness a reward for the climb.

1 comment:

  1. All sounds fantastic - especially the diners!
    Do they do black pudding?
    Good cycling - Good luck!

    ReplyDelete