Tuesday 20 September 2011

It's the closest thing to being a modern day cowboy....

...that's what Larry told me in Yosemite yesterday as we chatted at the foot of Half Dome. "You can ride where you want and please yourself". I kinda agree with some of Larry's sentiment. There's a freedom to being able to wander across the massive continent. I can't quite wander over the prairies following cattle though since there are 'no respassing' signs on any private land and the wild, untamed land is not what my bike's kitted out for.

Life seems to have taken on a dream-like quality. I've lost track of the days and everything has boiled down to the simple necessities: water, somewhere to camp, food, the next milestone along the road. There's something very basic and fundamental about it all that is liberating. I realise of course that this is all a little false since Biddy is at home still dealing with all the 'stuff' that needs sorting just to exist in the world. I hope though that I can hold onto this.

Yosemite was indeed breathtaking. It made me want to hold my breath and whisper it was so beautiful and dramatic (both of which are a little tricky when you're at 9000feet and trying to drag body and bike up the pass....). An impressive gem. I am sure if I'd walked along the trails into the mountains I'd soon be shot of the crowds there.

I cycled out of the Yosemite valley this morning as the sun rose and tipped El Capitan with an orange, early-morning sunrise. Looking up at the 3000 foot wall I could just make out a couple of climbing tents affixed to the wall a couple of thousand feet up.

I've pressed onto North Fork today so that I can get a shower (somewhat overdue again) and connect back to the world. At the lower altitudes it's hot as I move into Southern California.

The last four days I've cycled with Harrold, a Californian retired sherrif. He, unlike me, has been able to upload his photos so if you want to see what we've been seeing these last few days check out his web site here www.crazyguyonabike.com/spandoman

John, a retired fireman from Southern California cycled with us yesterday and he and I bumped into each other again this morning. He is doing the Sirerra cascades route (pronounced "rowt" here...) so he and I will probably see a lot more of each other.

Spirits high. Traffic is busy enough to demand constant concentration. Legs bearing up remarkably well.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update :) Its good to see you've got riding buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when are you coming to NZ?????
    Are you going to pop in? We have LOADS of room and Albatrosses!!! :)
    (That is why we need the room, because Albatrosses are very big and these are Royal Albatrosses so even bigger)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the cowboy analogy. It must be nice to have some company after the solitude early on.

    Would love to see Yosemite and El Capitan! I used to want to climb it, back when I was really into climbing. Make sure you take lots of pics.

    ReplyDelete