Monday 29 August 2011

Little milestones......

are what keep you going. Sometimes it's simply the next mile marker on the road or the next 100metres of ascent before I can take a break. Sometimes it's the fact thaht I've now cycled one of the fice sets of maps.

Other little milestones that keep me preoccupied....

I've clocked pu the first 1000km of riding this morning

I am about to leave Washton State and enter Oregon.

I need to keep the milestones small or I get daunted by the size of the challenge still ahead.

I am in Stevenson on the south side of Washington about to enter Cascade Locks and Mt Hood. Stunning views of Mount Rainer and Mout St. Helens yesterday and miles and miles of deep, dark pine forest.

I think I am putting on weight due to spending most of the day eating energy bars and danish pastries. I have yet to come across a menu in a diner that includes vegetables!

Still no cyclists!

Bears keeping a low profile.

3 comments:

  1. Never mind the bears, beware the loggers. Putting on weight, albeit muscle, heh ! What have you reckoned for your required calories per day ? Have to get off them pastries and become a muffin man.

    Perhaps you get the chance to pass on the pump one day, be good if it could have an account of its journey ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its good to have an idea of where you are. I do wonder if there's any chance of picking you up on one of their traffic cameras, but imagine you're keeping off the larger roads (26 Mt Hood, 97 South ?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, well I don't believe you could put on weight Mike, must be the thunder thighs. Your blog has been very entertaining, still making me laugh. I can tell you, the bear hide behind trees and are hard to find, or they were when we were there and we looked hard for them. It must be sneezing coyotes!! I found you hardly saw any wildlife for the vastness of the place! Hope you meet some nice people to converse with soon so you don't feel so lonely. And if you really can't find any vegetables to eat,then please feel free to eat the four leaf clover as a last resort :) Take care....don't forget you're livin the dream...MAN!!! Love the photo of you jumping for joy in your suit, very tempted to put that up on the notice board on level 6 hee hee.

    ReplyDelete