Thursday 8 September 2011

captain slog, eighth day of september

Well, I hear I've been having some complaints about the spelling in my blog posts. Well, sorry guys, but its a bit tricky when you're trying to tap away on a tiny mobile phone screen with a dodgy battery and an iffy wifi connection. I'll try my best to improve things. Indeed today I'm sitting at a computer screen for the first time in a fortnight or so in the library at Mount Shasta.

"But doesn't that mean you've reached California?" I hear you ask. Yup, you got it (am I begining to sound like an American yet?) I sped into California on a rather hairy 11km of the Interstate 5 yesterday afternoon. Reaching the third and final state is another milestone under the belt.

I hear also that you've been asking if I am enjoying myself. What an impertinent question. Who ever said I was doing this for enjoyment eh? I must admit that it is hard cycling - both physically, dragging my bike of 40+kg over the high passes day after day, and mentally, going day after day alone on the roads with miles of nothing but pine forest or high praire / desert. It's a little like when one goes for a really long run or walk. It's demanding, but when it's over you are pleased with yourself.

So, what is a typical day like? Well, it's a lot better than going to work, that's what I keep telling myself. Up at 6:30am as the day lightens. A banana is what I scoff for breakfast usually and the tent all packed by 7am. This means I'm cycling in the cool of the morning before the sun is really up and before the traffic starts. The smels in the morning re wonderful - some familiar, others less so. The forest is normally deadly quite apart from the occasional ground squirrel or raven. I cycle through the miles and miles of pine forest (I whish I knew the difference between the different pine trees so I could identify them properly) or, today through miles and miles of ?prairie with yellow grass. Every 30 or miles or so I might be lucky enough to come across a 'town' which may, or may not, contain a petrol station selling donuts (that's how they spell them) or even a general store when I can stock up on bananas, muffins, danish pastries, power bars, noodles and tuna.

It's still very hot: in the high nineties yesterday which, when I am low down is very hot. It means I am typically carrying about four or five litres on me.

What do I spend my time doing? Well, my brain falls into a bit of a pattern like this....

* watch the road, there's all sorts of glass and nails on the verge there...
* what's that coming up behind me/ Another massive loggin truck, has he seen me?
* how far is it to the next junction where there MIGHT be a store to buy more noodles
* how many metres do I need to cycle higher to reach the pass?
* have I got enough water to keep me alive? Where can I get more water?
* have I got enough food to today, where can I buy food?
* Where will I sleep tonight?
* will there actually be water at the campsite tonight (often no....)
* who should I be praying for today?
repeat ad neaseaum.....

occassionally I look up at the spendid views too! Today I've been cycling up to a the hugh Mount Shasta, a mountain-shaped mountain that was clearly a volcano not too long ago.

Last night I slept in the back yard of the vafe in Hornbrrok because there was no campsite and the lovely people in the cafe allowed me their space. Tonight I am hoping to book into a proper campsite with water and showers! I've not had a shower in four days now! Imagine that in ninety degrees of heat! Kim will be appauled.

I met anoher trouing cyclist today! A German guy who's three weeks into a circular tour from San Francisco. We shared lunch together, A reach encouragement.

I saw a bear yesterday! I was cycling in the early morning through the forest, as you do, and the forest was opening up a little. I heard a snuffling in the woods. Shall I cycle on? Shall I stop and look? I cycled on, heart beating. Then I had second thoughts and turned around to look and see. I peered into the forest and there it was, big, and hairy and black and.......looking just like a cow.....


Thank you for continuing to follw me. knowing someone is keeping half an eye on my progress is really encouraging me.

9 comments:

  1. Well done Mike
    Sounds great!!
    If you see the Pacific Ocean then wave, we're just the other side :)

    PS ur splgs fyne :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo hooo.. well done and congratulations on reaching California. Love the cows impersonating bears . Last year the BBC published research showing animals have regional accents ..... loved the idea of a Devonshire moo... anyhows have you noticed any American twang in the wildlife? Just thought I'd through in another muse to your list.... Keep peddling .. it's amazing... Ali xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, I've been cheering you on - but offline (& in prayer)as I've been away on hols. Just caught up with your adventures. WOW! True grit - as they say! Keep it up. Bet that shower was good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike,
    A nickel is 5 cents - worth about 3p. Called so because it's 25% Nickel (rest is copper).
    A Dime is 10 cents - worth about 6p - only 8% Nickel (rest copper). Name comes from French disme = a tenth I'm told.
    A penny for your thoughts....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!! A cow-bear and a German cyclist!!! AND you're in the same state as Dean and me now :) Looking forward to seeing you when you're down this way... E&D xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oaky Mkie, now yuo've got a baer, nxet a ytei, and pelsae reebmemer taht the hmuan mnid is wufrednol tinhg as lnog as the fsrit and lsat lteetrs are crorcet, and the rset pernest, we can wrok it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike it is great to hear all your news. Will keep praying for you. Viki x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mike,

    Had the bear done a poo?

    Keep pedalling,
    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...clearly a volcano... not too long ago. - I totally agree - my guess? 5999 years old tops - Mike Walton a Young Earther !!! Mt.Shasta:1 Genesis:0 still its a start. Shame you'll miss the Creationist Conference - West Sacramento early Nov.
    Great trek, great blog Mike what a hero - your up there with Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone and John Wayne
    Well done - best regards

    ReplyDelete