Friday 19 August 2011

first impressions of the US?

They drive big cars don't they

Everyone (well, apart from that customs officer in LA who seemed incapable of beleiving that the reason I was carrying a bike spanner was because I was going on a cycle tour...) appears really pleased to see me and eager to help.  is this for real?

The natives don't seem to understand what I say, even when I say it slowly.....

T-shirt spotted in a Mexican diner yesterday  "I don't call 911", with a picture of guns below it.  Hmmm.

Seattle is a lovely city.  Beautiful views across the bay and towards snow-capped mountains in ?Canada.

Most of the small towns have little that is picturesque.  There are lots of churches....but I do miss the sight of  church steeples and towers.

Captain Splog......
Thurs 18th Aug.    Took lovely train ride along the coast from Seattle to Bellingham.  Started the cycle tour at long last in Bellingham. Cycled on flat farmland plains where they were growing maise and berries (not in the same field you understand).   An easy days ride of 70 flat kilometers up to the Canadian border at Sumas.  Spent the night in a noise 'RV park' next to a busy road and a 'railroad'. 

Fri 19th Aug.  Up before six and cycling in the fog for the first hour. Lifted up to almost alpine environment:  large broad leafed and pine forests for mile after mile.  Clocked 115km this morning and feeling a little achy.

Spotted my first bald eagle on the Skagit river at lunchtime.  Other than that I am wondering where all the birds have gone?  A few swallow, starling, one grey heron and the bald eagle.  That's about it.  Perhaps they've shot them all. 

Signs I've seen along the way that make me smile.....  "No Shooting"  and 'Elk Crossing"

Spending this evening in a place called Concrete! 

No comments:

Post a Comment