Monday 29 August 2011

Land of the free eh?

Yep, well that's what they claim and, sure they are 'free' but you know what the overriding impression is.....a land of 'rules'. There are so many 'DON'T' do this and 'DO 'do that, and don;t tresspass here, and 'no hunting' or 'no shooting' that one feels a little claustrophobic and, dare I say it, 'un-free'.

Mind you, people have been kind. I was setting off early yesterday morning and got a flat. With some difficulty (the stupid tire levers were too bendy...) I replaced the inner tube and then tried blowing up the tire again only to find the pump had stopped working. I was about to embark upon a 70 mile ride through the forests where there was no services, grocers or indeed people. The nearest bike shop was 90km the wrong way. My heart sank and I was close to tears (honest). hankfully an early morning runner came past, weighed up the situation fast and ran back to get a pump from his RV. This did the job :) What's more he gave me the pump and wouldn't accept anything for it. The kindness of strangers. I am thankful for little blessings like this that bring a sparkle to the day.

1 comment:

  1. I am catching up on some of the old posts I missed. Isn't it amazing how a small kindness can make a big difference? Such an encouragement.

    Praying for you!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete