Wednesday 5 October 2011

A Big Wet Bear

Be careful what you wish for......

After worrying for weeks about the heat, getting up at silly o'clock in the morning to ride in the cool of the day and wishing for a little cool and dampness the weather's suddently turned all, well, British! It's just above freezing outside, snow is forecast for tonight and tomorrow and I am worried that I may not be able to make it over the pass tomorrow.

Thankfully I made it into the town of Big Bear (lovely name isn't it) up at about 7000 feet in the mountains. I've found a warm, welcoming and empty place at Big Bear hotel where I've hunkered down under my duvet for the last day and done lots of sleeping and eating. I may just extend my stay here until the sunshine reappears, as promised, in a day or so.

Or maybe I should stay for the winter snowboarding season that, by all accounts, is about to start soon?

I must go now to rummage in the depths of my panniers to find that cag, thermal layer, snuggler and overshoes. I knew I brought them through the deserts of California for a reason.

1 comment: